Friday, September 19, 2014

Three for the Ride: Aimee Mann, Led Zeppelin, The Eric Gales Band

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Aimee Mann: "I Should've Known"
Formerly of 'Til Tuesday fame ("Voices Carry"), lead singer Aimee Mann has gone on to a solo singer/songwriter career that has led to her songs appearing in movies like Magnolia, Jerry Maguire and on the cult t.v. hit Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In a word, she's fabulous. I love her music. Great songs, great lyrics, great hooks, and a great voice. This song is the opening track from her first solo record, 1993's Whatever. The production on it is killer. If you listen to this and don't fall in love with her stuff... I've added a link to the original video, which I can't embed here ;(

Here's a link to a video of the song as it should be heard!

The only version I could find on YouTube that wasn't corrupted was a live version from the Jules Holland show- the band's a little flat on this one, so listen to the other version, if you can.



Led Zeppelin: "Bring it on Home"
Yeah, I've done Zeppelin recently. But this is such a great song. and can you ever really do too much Zeppelin? I didn't think so. The intro and outro is based on the 1964 Sonny Boy Williamson version of the song Wille Dixon wrote, but the rest is all Page and Plant. When the band comes in at 1:43, it just doesn't get any better and John Bonham's drums on this song are crazy. Tied for my favorite track on 1969's Led Zeppelin II, I give you...



The Eric Gales Band: "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"
I was standing around waiting for King's X to take the stage in Tempe, AZ, listening to what their sound man was playing on the sound system, when I heard Eric for the first time. It is rare that I will go out of my way to find out who an artist is. His guitar playing is incredible. I have since seen him live and can tell you, the dude is the real deal. He does a Hendrix tribute that will leave you amazed. He's also teamed up with King's X's Dug Pinnick recently in Pinnick, Gales, Pridgen. This cover of the Beatle's song is from 1993's Picture of a Thousand Faces. Just listen to the guitar work.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment