Friday, March 30, 2018

10 Albums in 10 days; Day 5: ELO, "Out of the Blue."


I am a huge fan of Jeff Lynne. Many of his songs have left an indelible impact on me. "Can't Get It Out of My Head," is an all-time classic song. (Loved Velvet Revolver's cover of that song.)

In 1976, the top-ten hit "Telephone Line," dominated the airwaves.

In 1978, ELO released the double-album, "Out of the Blue." It would become their highest-charting album, reaching #4 on the US charts.

I loved this album when it came out, particularly the end of side two, "Believe Me Now" and "Steppin' Out," and side three's "Concerto for a Rainy Day." "Big Wheels" is one of my favorite songs, ever. I get chills every time I listen to it. Over time, this album has gained even more popularity and songs like "Mr. Blue Sky" have become a staple.

I could have easily chosen "El Dorado," "Face the Music," or "New World Record," a record that I love just as much as this one. ("Mission: A World Record" is a masterpiece.) So why "Out of the Blue?"

The greatest thing about my love of music is being able to share it with my children. (They're all Beatle fans and King's X fans.) I took a road trip with DD Rachel this last year. She had a gymnastics meet in Erie, PA. On the ride back, I put on this record. She loved it. When we got home, she demanded that I put it on her playlist and that my wife add it to the van's music library.

The other night, we were coming home late from an event and I pulled this up on the van's library. I could hear Rachel quietly singing along with every track. I swear she knows this record better than I do.

Sharing this with her is ... the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment