Friday, March 30, 2018

10 Albums in 10 Days; Day 6: "Out of the Silent Planet," by King's X



Ok, those of you who know me knew this was coming - not necessarily this album, per se, but definitely this band.

Picking one album from King's is like my Sophie's Choice.

Back in the late 80's, my band was playing at a club, Union Station, in Wilmington. The sound man, Aaron (R.I.P.) was tuning up the system to a CD I'd never heard before. The music that was coming out of the sound system stopped me in my tracks. I remember standing on the edge of the stage and listening. I had to know what I was hearing. "King's X," Aaron replied when I asked. I responded, "Who?" This is the same response I get every time I mention this band.

Few people have heard of them, but those who have tend to have huge respect for them as players, songwriters, innovators, and many view Doug Pinnick, their lead singer, as one of the best voices in rock. (Richie Blackmore asked Doug to front Deep Purple for a tour.)


This album, their 1988 debut, is one of the best first efforts by a band, ever. The harmonies layered over drop-tuned riffs, featuring the growling sound of Doug's 12-string bass, offer a new and different sound: Beatles meet Black Sabbath with a tinge of Texas rock. There's also an American Indian influence to some of their music. Many musicians, including Jeff Ahmet of Pearl Jam, credit King's X as being the first grunge band. (I never thought of them as grunge, but I appreciate the influence they had on those bands,)


The second track, "Goldilox" is the hit ballad that never was. I often state that it's my favorite song. "Power of Love," "King," and "Shot of Love" are all songs that could have, should have been hits. "Far, Far Away" is another powerful favorite of many King's X fans. 


This album came at a time in my life when I was also going through a spiritual re-awakening. I hated most "Christian" rock and wanted to be anything but that. These guys were able to sing about their faith in a way that was refreshing- it wasn't preachy. I was inspired by them to find a way to write about what mattered to me in a way that wasn't contrived. They definitely had a big influence on me in the years that followed my discovery of them.


I've been a huge fan now, for almost 30 years. Next to the Beatles, they are my favorite band.

No comments:

Post a Comment