Friday, July 25, 2014

Three from the Train, Friday: John Lennon, ELO, and King's X

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

I didn't take the train today, but, working from home, here's what I heard today:

John Lennon: "Instant Kharma"
I'm not a huge fan of Lennon's catalog once he went solo. There. I've said it. In my own humble opinion, McCartney was the better, more-prolific song writer who had a much better feel for accessible music. That said, Lennon sure had his moments. Walls and Bridges is my favorite Lennon solo album, but this is my favorite song. From The Plastic Ono Band, released as a single in 1970 with Phil Spector's signature production. My favorite bit on this track is Alan White's drumming (White would eventually replace Bill Bruford in Yes).

Oh, and Yoko was a freak. If you doubt that, check out the video.



Electric Light Orchestra: "Sweet is the Night"
From 1977's Out of the Blue. I love this album. It features so many great songs, including "Turn to Stone," "Sweet Talkin' Woman," and "Mr. Blue Skies." This one is great too. Jeff Lynne is another one of those amazing song writers that I rank in my top few favorites, along with McCartney, Bacharach, and Rundgren. If you've never heard this album all the way through, do yourself a favor and do so. It's listed in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.



King's X: "Far, Far Away"
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later: King's X played on my iPhone. When you have 17 albums worth of material from one artist, sooner or later they're gonna show up in the rotation. This track is from their debut album Out of the Silent Planet. Doug Pinnick's vocal on this is a prime example of why I love this band. Not to mention the progressive metal nature of the music, the harmonies, the lyrics, the musical proficiency etc. King's X is incredible. Can you say Phrygian?



Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment