Thursday, July 10, 2014

Three from the Train: Wendy and Lisa, The Beatles, Ramones

Wendy and Lisa: "Crack in the Pavement"
OK, I'm gonna get grief for this. Wendy and Lisa are an example of the chicken/egg paradox. I really appreciate what Prince has accomplished as an artist. But none of his stuff (with maybe the exception of the Purple Rain soundtrack) appeals to me as much as Wendy and Lisa's 1990 album, Eroica. There are songs on this record that are devastating. And in listening to the sound of this record, it begs the question, who had the bigger influence on whom? I KNOW that it's blasphemy to suggest that Prince wasn't the bigger influence, but I'm not convinced that it couldn't have been the other way around. Either way, enjoy this track and please, check out the rest of this record.



The Beatles: "She's A Woman"
Released Thanksgiving, 1964, "She's a Woman" was the b-side of the "I Feel Fine" single. It wouldn't show up on an album until Past Masters Volume 1, released in 1988. The song did appear briefly in the movie, HELP! What stood out to me, this morning, was Paul's killer vocal on the song and his piano part in the background.



Ramones: "Commando"
First rule is: Listen to Ramones
Second rule is: Like Ramones
Third rule is: Listen to More Ramones
Fourth rule is: Repeat.
Originally from 1977's Leave Home (the version I heard this morning), Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Ramones "Commando" live...



No comments:

Post a Comment