Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Three from the Train: Dionne Warwick, Muse, Foo Fighters

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

Here's what I heard today:

Dionne Warwick: "A House is Not a Home"
I know Luther Vandross made it a hit a second time, but the 1964 version of this Bacharach/David song recorded on Make Way for Dionne Warwick is perfect.



Muse: "Exogenesis: Symphony Part 3 (Redemption)"
Beautiful. The final track on 2009's The Resistance. Great album. Muse makes me think "Euro-Metal version of Queen." Matthew Bellamy's vocals are unique and very dramatic. I think it works really well.



Foo Fighters: "Everlong"
The version I heard this morning is from 1997's The Colour and the Shape. The version below is live on Letterman. Great music evokes a sense of desperation. Abandon. Passion. An indescribable welling up inside. This song does it as well as any.



Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment