Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Three from the Train: Pat Benatar, Stone Temple Pilots, Led Zeppelin

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

Here's what found its way into rotation today:

Pat Benatar: "We Live for Love"
This is the third single from 1979's In the Heat of the Night. The song, written by Pat's future husband, Neil Geraldo, was the first that I'd heard from her. I actually caught it on a Saturday afternoon music video show, long before MTV had birthed. That soaring, breathy mezzo-soprano and the classic 80's progression - I have to admit that I fell in love with her instantly.



Stone Temple Pilots: "Long Way Home"
Shangri-la-di-da is the band's fifth album. It's woefully underrated and "Long Way Home" is the last track on that album. I was a late comer to STP. I loved their second album, Purple. And then, in 2001, I bought No. 4 and rediscovered them. The band is so talented. I'm particularly fond of Scott Weiland and am saddened that he's been ubable to stabilize his life and that he's no longer a part of STP. There's also no denying Jimmy Page's influence on Dean DeLeo's guitar playing. This song is a clear example of that. The riff could have come off any later Zeppelin album and the solo is classic Page-like stuff.



Led Zeppelin: "Song Remains the Same"
So, how do you follow up from an album like Led Zeppelin 4? Hard to top "Stairway to Heaven," "Black Dog," "Rock and Roll," and "When the Levee Breaks." The answer is, Houses of the Holy. Personally, I think this is their weakest outing (until In through the Out Door) yet there are some good songs on the album: "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Dancing Days," and this track in particular. Great guitar work on this track. One could say Jimmy definitely matured as a guitarist on this album. Fortunately, they followed up with Physical Graffiti, my favorite Zeppelin album.


Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment