Friday, August 1, 2014

Three from the Train: Utopia, Genesis, Stereophonics

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

Here's what found its way into rotation today:

Utopia: "Abandon City"
Great song from a woefully unknown Utopia album, 1977's Oops! Wrong Planet. This song features Roger Powell on vocals and Trumpet. Great trumpet solo leads into an amazing Todd Rundgren guitar solo. One of my favorite songs on this album.



Genesis: "Squonk"
Trick of the Tail is Genesis's first album sans Peter Gabriel, released in 1976. It's one of my three favorite Genesis Albums (the others being Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. "Squonk" is a bit overplayed, and I have many other preferred songs on the album, but it's still great stuff. The video is a live version.



Stereophonics: "Dakota"
When 2005's Language. Sex. Violence. Other? was recorded, this Welsh band was a three piece. I've become a big fan of front man/songwriter Kelly Jones's writing and own most of this band's catalog. Check out the video. The car says it all.


Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment