Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Three from the Train: Pinnick Gales Pridgen, Bill Spooner, U.K.

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really want the world to appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't that great?!"

This morning was tough. I hear at least six songs I'd love to bring to your attention. But I will not break my own rule. I'll also try not to repeat the artist, too often. Here's what I heard this morning:

Pinnick Gales Pridgen: "Been So High (The Only Place to Go is Down)"
So, once upon a time, three incredible musicians got together to form a band and see what kind of music came out. We used to call those super groups, like Asia. This super group is made up of Dug Pinnick (King's X) on bass and vocals, Eric Gales on guitar and vocals, and Thomas Pridgen (The Mars Volta) on drums. What came out was magic. Dug has been my favorite rock vocalist for decades and he's a heck of a bass player, too. Eric Gales channels Jimi like no one else I've ever heard, and Thomas, though new to me, is amazing, as well. Check out this track from their debut album, Pinnick Gales Pridgen.



Bill Spooner: "Too Much"
I'm a huge Tubes fan. Not to detract from the other GREAT talents in the band, one of the truly creative geniuses behind the Tubes was Bill Spooner. He left the band back in the mid 80's and kind of fell off the radar. I try to keep up with what he's been doing because I love, so much, his voice, his writing, and the choices he makes as a guitarist. This is a song - a beautiful song - that he released on 2001's Demolicious: Adventures in Lo-Fi. To me, it encapsulates everything that makes Bill so amazing.



U.K.: "Night After Night"
Speaking of super groups, U.K. was comprised of John Wetton (King Crimson), Eddie Jobson (Roxy Music, Zappa), Alan Holdsworth, and Bill Bruford (Yes, etc.). Terry Bozzio (Zappa) replaced Bruford in 1978, and in 1979, U.K. released the live album, Night After Night, recorded in Japan. Hey, if it worked for Cheap Trick and Deep Purple, then why not U.K.? This track is from that live album. It's classic 70's progressive rock-pop. I really love the audience clapping along with the song the whole way through.


Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment