Thursday, August 21, 2014

Three from the Train: Army of Anyone, Devo, Rush

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really want the world to appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Some mornings are tough to choose only three songs from, but I will not break my own rule - 3 songs. Period. I'll also try to not repeat the artist, too often. Here's what I heard this morning:

Army of Anyone: "Father Figure"
The DeLeo brothers (Stone Temple Pilots) joined forces with Richard Patrick (Filter) and Ray Luzier (David Lee Roth, KXM) and formed Army of Anyone. In 2006, the band released their only album, thus far, called Army of Anyone. They had two singles, this being the second. I love this record and it's a crime that it didn't get more attention and that they didn't do more.



Devo: "Freedom of Choice"
I discovered Devo in 1976 when I heard "Mongoloid" on a compilation album that I can no longer remember the name of. I then saw their now-famous Saturday Night Live performance of The Stones's "Satisfaction" live in 1978. As weird as they want to be, their pop sensibilities still shine through on occasion. From the 1980 album of the same title...



Rush: "La Villa Strangiato"
Back in the late 70's I had such an insatiable appetite that I joined every record club I could find so I could get 13 albums at one shot for a penny. Then, once I'd fulfilled the agreement, I'd do it again. When you forget to mail back the card, though, you get the album of the month- whatever it may be. Well, 1978's Hemispheres was one of those records. I didn't know anything about Rush. This album changed that and it remains my favorite album from their catalog to this day. This song is, IMHO, THE quintessential Rush song. It just doesn't get any better or more impressive than this.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment