Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Three from the Train: Brand X, Chris Whitley, Dread Zeppelin

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

Here's what found its way into rotation today:

Brand X: "Sun in the Night"
From 1977's Moroccan Roll, this track features Phil Collins singing Sanskrit and Percy Jones on what I can best call Sitar Bass - a weird phased and chorused out the wazoo fretless bass part that dominates the song. If you've never heard this album in it's entirety, you're missing some of the best British fusion ever made.



Chris Whitley: "Can't Get Off"
1995's Din of Ecstasy is the follow-up to Chris Whitley's amazing debut, Living with the Law. I love the guitar on this track. I can't say enough about how much I love Chris's work. The world lost him to lung cancer almost a decade ago - tragic. If you don't know about Chris Whitley, check him out.



Dread Zeppelin: "Nobody's Fault But Mine"
What DO you get when you reboot Zeppelin as a Reggae band and hire an Elvis impersonator as your lead singer? Dread Zeppelin, of course. From their second album, 5,000,000* (*Tortelvis Fans Can't Be Wrong). Nothing I can say can prepare your for this if you've never heard them before.



Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment