Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Three for the RIde (Formerly Three From the Train) Kate Bush, Metallica, The Cars

OK, I"m changing the name. I originally picked Three from the Train as a very literal title for this blog, but it's been bugging me. So, before it gets too cemented in anyone's mind, I'm changing it to Three for the Ride. And it's not about music FROM the train. It's about music FOR you to consider.

I promise, I won't change it again.

Some days, I take the train, others I drive. Either way, I listen to music. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really want the world to appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Kate Bush: "The Dreaming"
I discovered Kate in 1978 when she showed up on Saturday Night Live. I fell in love with her music instantly. Her voice is so unique and her sense of melody unparalleled. This is the title track from her 1982 release, The Dreaming, her fourth album, but the first that she had produced on her own. It's a very eclectic album and not very accessible to most people. If you're curious about Kate, check out her greatest hits compilation, The Whole Story and go from there. This song features a lot of Celtic rhythms and melodies.



Metallica: "Damage Inc."
In 1986, I was determined to not like Metallica because I had decided their "music" was a mere cacophony. Then I actually listened to them. When I first heard 1986's album release, Master of Puppets, I was blown away. It was brutal, but it also showed true musicality and a great lyrical sensibility. This song, in particular, was the fastest guitar playing I'd ever heard up until that point. It was hard to get my head around at first. I've come to think that Master of Puppets is an essential part of any serious music collection. Check out the intro to this song and notice the contrast with the ensuing melee.



The Cars: "Candy-O"
I confess. I didn't actually hear this particular song in the rotation this morning. I had to go out of my way to hear it. What I did hear in rotation was "Shoo Be Doo," a quirky little piece that leads right into Candy-O. My iPhone jumped on to something else when the song ended, but not following "Shoo Be Doo" with "Candy-O" is like listening to Zep's "Heartbreaker" with no "Living, Loving Maid" to follow. Can't be done. Regardless, this song is the title track from The Car's 1979 release, Candy-O. It's my favorite track on the record. I love the way Elliot Easton layers the guitar parts on top as the song progresses and Ben Orr's vocal is creepy and haunting. Here's a pretty faithful live rendition from a 1979 studio performance.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment