Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Three from the Train: Petula Clark, Sheryl Crow, Yes

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really want the world to appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Some mornings are tough to choose only three songs from, but I will not break my own rule - 3 songs. Period. I'll also try to not repeat the artist, too often. Here's what I heard this morning:

Petula Clark: "Don't Sleep in the Subway"
I love this song. It's pure and perfect pop. From 1967's These Are My Songs, this song went to number 5 on Billboard's Hot 100 and is written by Tony Hatch, the same guy who wrote "Downtown."



Sheryl Crow: "It Don't Hurt"
I may have this wrong, but I don't think Sheryl Crow gets the props she deserves as an artist or a songwriter. When I ask what people think, many say, "eh, she's o.k." Are you kidding me? She's one of the best song writers of the last 20 years. And she is so diverse. I love this track from 1998's The Globe Sessions. I love the humorous lyric and even the affectation she puts on her voice. The guitar jam on the end is great, too. (Very Mike Campbell-like.)



Yes: "Awaken"
OK, this is a long one. Clocking in at over 15 minutes, this track from 1977's Going for the One is considered by many to be Yes's best work, ever. This is classic Yes with amazing guitar work by Steve Howe (he co-wrote the piece with Anderson), some of Rick Wakeman's best keyboard work, and incredible bass parts by the unparalleled Chris Squire. Jon Anderson provides the usual weird, yet colorful lyrics and, of course, Alan White;s drumming is impressive. If you're not too familiar with Yes, but want to know what they're all about, give 15 minutes to listen to this track and you'll hear all you need to understand Yes.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment