Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Three from the Train: Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, The Producers

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

There was a lot of great music in rotation this morning, so this was a tough choice:

Paul McCartney: "Dear Boy"
Ram is my favorite McCartney solo album and this song is the 4th track from that 1971 release. It's the track that leads into "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey." There's a lot of speculation about who the song is about: John Lennon insisted the song was about him and Yoko but Paul maintained it was about himself and his love for Linda. Regardless (and I never gave it THAT much thought) it's a great song that few have heard or know about. Love the harmonies and the do-to-doing.



Billy Joel: "She's Right On Time"
I'm not a huge fan of the stuff Bill Joel is best known for. My taste in his stuff is a little less predictable (No "Piano Man", please). In fact, my two favorite Billy Joel albums are 1981's live album, Songs in the Attic and 1982's Nylon Curtain. This track form the latter is one of my favorites. I love the sentiment and the conviction.



The Producers: "What's He Got?"
The opening track from their 1981 debut album, The Producers. The video is kinda silly, but close your eyes and listen to the song. Pure 80's pop at its very best. They should have made it illegal for anyone to ever use this chord progression after this song was released. (It's so over used now that I can barely stand it when I hear it.) I love the background vocals - na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na - on this track.



Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment