Friday, August 8, 2014

Three from the Train: Bob Marley, Johnny Cash, The Tubes

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

Here's what I heard this morning:

Bob Marley and the Wailers: "Exodus"
This is the slightly faster version from the 1984 Legend album, a greatest hits of sort. There is another, slower version was on Marley's Exodus album, circa 1977.



Johnny Cash: "The Long Black Veil"
From the Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison album (1968). This kind of story-telling in a song is what Johnny does best. Love the interaction with the inmates. I was a late comer to Johnny's music, having hated "country" when I was a kid. Of course, there's a huge difference between this music, which is authentic, and the garbage coming out of Nashville today that passes as country. Gimme some Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, or George Jones any day of the week.



The Tubes: "You're No Fun"
The version I heard this morning was from their 1978 What Do You Want from Live? album. Couldn't find that one out there, so you'll have to settle for the studio version from Now, the album they were supporting on that tour in 1978. The Tubes are a personal favorite, so they're likely to show up here often.


Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment