Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Three for the Ride: Collective Soul, Bruce Springsteen, King's X

Some days, I take the train, others I drive. Either way, I listen to music. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really want the world to appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Collective Soul: "The World I Know"
Ed Roland, the band's frontman and primary writer has a great song-writing ability and a unique voice. Without a doubt, this is my favorite track from their catalog. It's a beautiful song. I love the string arrangement and the lyrics really resonate with me.

So I walk up on high and I step to the edge to see my world below.
And I laugh at myself while the tears roll down 'cause it's the world I know.


This is from the band's second studio album, 1995's self-titled Collective Soul, sometimes referred to as The Blue Album.



Bruce Springsteen: "She's the One"
I hated Bruce when I was younger. I just didn't get it. Then, late one night, when I was feeling particularly desperate, I heard "Jungleland". That changed everything. It clicked. Born to Run (1976) is one of my favorite albums and this song captures everything about Bruce's music at the time: Relentless. Desperate. Passionate.



King's X: "Goldilox"
I know. I said I would try to not repeat an artist too often. But when this song showed up on the playlist this morning I couldn't help myself. This is why I love King's X so much. This song. I'll never forget the first time I heard it. I'd never heard anything like it. I've never heard anything like it since. If you asked me what my favorite song was, I'd be likely to tell you, "Goldilox". This captures everything that's great about the band: Amazing guitar textures, Doug Pinnick's soulful vocals, the drop-tuned guitars, the suspended chords in the bridge, killer Beatle-esque harmonies, and a lyric that cuts through to your heart. "I watch you from a mile away... I've got to know your name."
Sigh. "Goldilox" is from the band's 1988 debut, Out of the Silent Planet.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment