Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Three from the Train: Alice Cooper, The James Gang, The Rolling Stones

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really want the world to appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Some mornings are tough to choose only three songs from, but I will not break my own rule - 3 songs. Period. I'll also try to not repeat the artist, too often. Here's what I heard this morning:

Alice Cooper: "Billion Dollar Babies"
So, I've heard a lot of Alice over the last few weeks, but some of it I am hesitant to share here. The guy can be dark. And weird. And controversial. So, here's a fairly mainstream track that seems "safe." This is the title track from 1973's Billion Dollar Babies. It's a fantastic album. Produced by genius Bob Ezrin, it features my two favorite Alice Cooper songs, "Elected" and "Hello, Hooray." Glen Buxton, Steve Hunter, and the recently-passed Dick Wagner are all on this record. On this track, Alice shared vocals with Donovan.



The James Gang: "Funk #48"
The one everybody knows, because they still play it often on classic rock stations, is "Funk #49," but "Funk #48" was released a year earlier on 1969's Yer' Album. You can hear a similarity between the two tunes and see how the band was evolving the theme. Joe Walsh is one of my favorite guitar players and this is what he was up to before he joined the Eagles in 1975. It's raw and gritty and everything I love about rock and roll.



The Rolling Stones: "I Don't Know Why aka Don't Know Why I Love You"
This track, written in part by Stevie Wonder, is from 1975's Metamorphosis, a collection of outtakes and alternate versions of well-known songs recorded from 1964 to 1970. A lot of studio musicians, i.e. Jimmy Page, play on some of these tracks instead of the Stones (though they are here), and some were intended to be recorded by other artists. I discovered this record in the cutout bin at Woolworth's when I was about 13 or 14. I love it. This is one of my favorite tracks on the record with Mick Taylor killing it on the guitar. Jimmy Miller's production of this song is great. I particularly love the horn arrangements.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment