Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Three from the Train: The Carpenters, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

Here's what I heard this morning:

The Carpenters: "It's Going to Take Some Time"
Carole King co-wrote this great song with Ton Stern. The top 10 hit shows up on The Carpenters 1972 album, A Song for You. I love the little piano hook and the harmonies. Karen Carpenter had the perfect pop voice. I remember as a kid, laying awake late at night, riding in the back seat of my parents car and listening to AM radio hits by the glow of the radio dial. This is one of those songs I remember vividly.



Elvis Presley: "It's Now or Never"
In 1960, this was the B-side of "A Mess of Blues." Elvis channels Roy Orbison in this song. I think it's one of his best vocal performances. His vibrato and control is superb.



Roy Orbison: "Leah"
Hey, what the heck, let's keep with the sappy pop stuff. Guess the iPhone was in that sort of mood this morning. "Leah" was released as a single in 1962. (No, my daughter is not named after this song. Or the Donnie Iris song, either.) Here's the version from 1987's A Black and White Night Live, featuring a host of other artists.


Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment