Monday, August 4, 2014

Three from the Train: Wang Chung, Rage Against the Machine, Beru Revue

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

Here's what found its way into rotation today:

Wang Chung: "Devoted Friends"
I bought Points on the Curve when I heard "Dance Hall Days" back in 1984. This track is one of the strongest moments on the album. I love the dissonance and the resolve of each line and the sentiment of the song. We've all been there: "If it doesn't work out, we'll stay friends, no?" Most likely, no. You can never put the genie back in the bottle.



Rage Against the Machine: "Testify"
From 1999's Battle of Los Angeles, this song pretty much encapsulates all that Rage' is about. Driving, relentless, hard-core, politically pointed, metal rap. Love, love, love Tom Morello's guitar work. Check out Audioslave, too. Brad Wilk and Zack de la Rochais also make up one heck of a rhythm section.



Beru Revue: "Be Careful Tonight"
Beru and my band, Love Bomb, used to play on the same bill a lot in the late 80's and early 90's. They never had a major deal, but they should have. This has always been my favorite track of theirs. The version I heard this morning was from the Empire Rock Room, circa 1985. Here's a more recent video of "Be Careful Tonight." Greg Davis is featured on the guitar solo in this song. What an amazing player.


Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment