Friday, July 11, 2014

Three from the Train: Harry Nilsson, Foghat, Galactic Cowboys

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.
I didn't take the train this morning, but if I had, this is what I would have heard:

Harry Nilsson: "Gotta Get Up"
The version I heard this morning was from 1971's Nilsson Schmilsson. The version below is live from the BBC in 1971. What an amazing song-writer, lyricist, and vocalist. If you get a chance, see the documentary, Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him?) (2010). It will reduce you to tears.



Foghat: "Chevrolet"
From 1978's Stone Blue. Foghat is one of those bands that was a staple when I was a kid. They're still in my rotation.



Galactic Cowboys: "Someone for Everyone"
Co-founder Wally Farkas is a good friend of the guys in King's X. My love of King's X eventually led me to discover GC and I fell in love with this song from their 1990 self-titled debut, Galactic Cowboys. The Cowboys opened for King's X in May, 1992 at the Chestnut Cabaret in Philadelphia and forever solidified themselves as a favorite of mine. I mean, how can you not like a band that has Thor (Ben Huggins) as their lead singer?



Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment