Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Three from the train: Cake, Killing Joke, Garbage.

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

I've been looking for a reason to post regularly on my blog, so here goes: three songs that highlighted my morning train ride.

Cake: "The Winter"
Cake isn't for everyone. But I get it. I love the song writing, the wit, the arrangements, the instrumentation, etc. They resonate with me. This song, in particular, reminds me of the great early 70's songs written by Burt Bacharach or Harry Chapin. One of my favorites. Love the chorus and the lyric.



Killing Joke: "Change"
In the early 80's, I was talking with a fellow musician about how "tight" I thought a particular band was when he schooled me by playing this track for me. I never looked back. That first Killing Joke record - the 1980 self-titled release - had a lasting impact and has been a staple in my collection ever since. This will always be a favorite track for me. Love the guitar work in the last minute.



Garbage: "Fix Me Now"
I discovered these guys somewhere on TV when I saw the video for "Stupid" Girl, circa 1995. Always been a big fan of Butch Vig as a producer (Nirvana, SonicYouth, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters), so no surprise that I find Garbage's production to be stellar as well. I also love lead-singer Shirley Manson's voice. This is another great track off their debut album that is a great example of their sound.



Hope you get a chance to listen and enjoy these tracks!

No comments:

Post a Comment