Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Three From the Train: Thomas Dolby, Todd Rundgren, Peter Gabriel

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

Sorry for the recent break, I was in London for a week.

Today, we have samples from three of my favorite songwriters and performers.

Thomas Dolby: "Hot Sauce"
From his 1988 release, Aliens Ate My Buick. If you don't own this album, you should. It's a masterpiece. Criminally overlooked.



Todd Rundgren: "Is It My Name?"
What can I say about Todd? Every bit as important to pop-music as Carole King or Burt Bacharach. And an amazing guitar player. And an accomplished producer (Meatloaf, The Tubes, Cheap Trick, and far too many more to list here). This track is from his 1973 release A Wizard, a True Star.



Peter Garbriel: "Family Snapshot"
After he left Genesis, Peter released a series of albums simply called, Peter Gabriel. This is from the third of such albums, released in 1980. The song is apparently based on would-be assassin Arthur Bremmer who attempted to kill George Wallace mixed in with imagery from the Kennedy assassination.



Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment