Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Three from the Train: Nicole Croissille, Cheap Trick, Jeff Beck

Every morning that I decide to drag myself to the city, I have a little over an hour to listen to music on the train. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. So it's often an interesting mix.

Three songs that highlighted my morning train ride:

Nicole Croissille: "Aufourd'hui c'est toi" from the Un Homme et Une Femme Original Soundtrack
I owe thanks to Ben Vaughn for this one. He has a Saturday afternoon show on WXPN here in Philly called, "The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn." One particular afternoon, Ben decided to play some of his favorite film music. Thanks to the iPhone app, "Shazam," I was able to finally identify a piece of music I've loved for years. This isn't that track, but it is from that same album. Close you eyes and imagine yourself in a convertible riding along the southern French coast.

Yeah, you get it.




Cheap Trick: "Clock Strikes Ten"
When I was a kid, live albums were a big deal. In the mid-70's, Kiss Alive, Kiss Alive II, Peter Frampton Comes Alive, and Cheap Trick at Budokan were some of the biggest-selling albums of the decade. 'Budokan made Cheap Trick into household names. "Clock Strikes Ten" is one of my favorite tracks on this record (In case you're wondering, "Need Your Love" is my favorite.) The clip below is from Rockplast, 1983.




Jeff Beck: "The Final Peace"
I have a lot of Jeff Beck on my iPhone. He is, after all, one of my favorite - if not the favorite - guitarists. I love his use of vibrato, tremolo, bending, and volume to create a truly unique style. This track from There and Back is a great example of all of the above.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment