Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Three for the Ride: Bee Gees, Poundhound, Queensryche

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Bee Gees: "Nights on Broadway"
Let's start by saying I did not like the disco era. The Bee Gees were the poster boys for the disco era. That said, there's no denying their vocal prowess and that they wrote some amazing tunes. This particular song is one that was the opening track on 1975's Main Course. It was just on the cusp of their becoming disco megastars and they were still very pop. It also features one of Barry Gibb's strongest vocals. Now, all these years later, I'm able to appreciate what they accomplished and am even saddened that Robin Gibb and Maurice Gibb have passed away.



Poundhound: "Jangle"
Poundhound is one of Dug Pinnick's many side projects. In 1998, Dug released Massive Grooves from the Electric Church of Psychofunkadelic Grungelism Rock Music. This is the opening track. I can't find words to express how much I love this song. I'm not sure anyone else will get it the way that I do, but that's what music is about- the very personal and unique experience. It's heavy. It's poppy. It speaks to me... "Something to believe in." Dig it.



Queensryche: "I Don't Believe in Love"
Geoff Tate has one of the greatest voices in rock. Period. He was a huge influence on my own singing style. The production values on Queensryche's records is insane. The musicianship is incredible. And they write some seriously good songs. This is one of their songs that demonstrates all of the above. This is from their 1990 release, Empire.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment