Monday, October 20, 2014

Three for the Ride: Bruce Springsteen, Cheap Trick, Utopia

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Bruce Springsteen: "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out"
From the ever classic Born to Run (1975) comes this song that was the second single released from the album. It's more of a story kind of song that tells about the formation of the E-Street Band. The third verse says "...the Big Man joined the band" clearly referring to saxophonist Clarence Clemons. Great little ditty. Born to Run is my favorite Bruce album. It should be a part of any serious music collection.



Cheap Trick: "I Can't Take It"
It's strange sometimes how one thing mysteriously flows into another here. This amazing song (songs like this are why I started this theme on my blog) appears on 1983's Next Position Please. Crunch pop just doesn't get any better than this. The cover for this record is a comical version of the cover for Born to Run. The album was produced by Todd Rundgren and there's no denying his influence on the sound.



Utopia: "More Light"
Speaking of Todd, here's yet another great song from Todd Rundgren's band, Utopia. This is from 1985's P.O.V. which is an acronum for Price of Victory, Pillar of Virtue, Point of View, or maybe Persistence of Vision. You choose. P.O.V. is, thus far, Utopia's final record. (Insert sad face here.) The song is huge. Right at about 2:35, the song just melts your face as Todd reminds us all of what an incredible guitar player he is and drums by John "Willie" Wilcox that will give you chills. Layered background vocals on this song just add to its hugeness. Listen over and over.

I couldn't find it on Youtube, but I found this: More Light on rdio

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment