Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Three for the Ride: Deep Purple, No Doubt, Red Hot Chili Peppers

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Deep Purple: "Highway Star"
Originally released on 1972's Machine Head, "Highway Star" is also the opening track on the best-selling live album Made in Japan that was released later that same year. This version is from that album. The song is a clinic in Hammond B3 organ soloing put on by keyboardist Jon Lord. Ritchie Blackmore's solo on the song is also considered one of the most iconic and one of the best guitar solos ever. Add Ian Gillan's insane vocal prowess and you have this:



No Doubt: "Comforting Lie"
From their 4th album, Return of Saturn (2000), this song reminds me of a cabaret-style number. I'd heard Gwen Stefani's "Simple Kind of Life" on the radio at some point and loved her voice. The album offers up a lot of accessible material. This song has a bit of a latin flavor to it but is pretty representative of No Doubt at this time in their career.



Red Hot Chili Peppers: "Behind the Sun"
The Uplift Mofo Party Plan is RHCP's third studio album and was released in 1987. "Behind the Sun" is a serious departure from the rest of their material. In fact, rumor has it that the record company refused to release it as a single stating that it was too melodic. Maybe that's part of why I love this track. It is the first RHCP song I ever heard and it is my favorite RHCP track. It has a very eastern sound with the droning sitar-like guitar parts and great harmonies. The video wasn't released until 1992 and shows Chad Smith on drums, however, Jack Irons - who cowrote the song - is the actual drummer on the track.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment