Monday, September 29, 2014

Three for the Ride: Sia, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Sia: "Breathe Me"
Colour the Small One (2004) is Australian singer-songwriter Sia's third album. Apparently this song was featured on HBO's Six Feet Under television series and has appeared on numerous other shows and movies. Well, that's great. That's not how I heard it, though. I just thought her voice was unique and it was a powerful song. Perhaps that's why it was chosen for all those uses. Hmmm.



Soundgarden: "Black Hole Sun"
The third single from Superunknown (1994) is hands down my favorite Soundgarden song. It's a real departure from their normal fare, being very accessible. It had more radio play than any other Soundgarden song and is probably how I came to hear it to begin with. I love Chris Cornell's voice and Kim Thayil's guitar through the Leslie speaker on this tune. I couldn't begin to tell you what it's about, but the chord progression and melody are great. I also love the super-heavy bridge and ending. The video is super creepy, too.



Jane's Addiction: "Up the Beach"
"Up the Beach is a powerful opening track on Jane's Addiction's 1988 studio debut, Nothing's Shocking. There are no meaningful lyrics, making the song more of a mood piece - a sonic painting. It opens with Eric Avery's bass line and then Dave Navarro layers on huge guitar parts that are the meat of the song. Perry Farrell adds a layer of ooh's and aah's that complete the picture. I like this album, but to me, the opening track is the strongest part.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment