Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Three for the Road: The Beatles, Weezer, Queen Electric

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

The Beatles: "I, Me, Mine"
The song was originally released on 1970's Let It Be. It was one of two George Harrison compositions on that record, the other being "For You Blue." This is the version from 2003's Let It Be: Naked. Ironically, it is supposedly the last song the Beatles recorded together, with Lennon in absentia. This version is sans the strings and brass that Phil Spector had layered on at a later date for the original 1970 release. I really love the acoustic guitar you can hear in the background during the verses, and the classic Beatles' background vocals, that almost seem to mock the "beep-beep-n-beep-beep, yeah!" from "Drive My Car."



Weezer: "Undone - The Sweater Song"
I am a late comer to Weezer. That said, I think the 1994 Blue Album is fantastic. There were three top-ten U.S. Rock chart hits, though this is the only one that broke the Billboard Hot 100. It's a crazy, little, non-sensical song that makes me recall my college and clubbing days. Oddly enough, some of those people I used to hang with still live that lifestyle. Oh well. Here's "Undone..."



Queen Electric: "Gonna Let You Down"
Scot Steven, singer, songwriter, guitarist, heads up this three-piece blues rock outfit. I saw them open for The Tubes in 2012 at the Sellersville Theater. I thought their stuff was catchy and I bought their self-titled 2011 release in the lobby after the show. I don't know anything else about them. I THOUGHT I did, but what I thought I knew I was unable to verify. If I am able to verify my suspicions, then I will update this blog with something more about them. If any of you reading knows anything about them, please let me know!



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment