Monday, September 15, 2014

Three for the Ride: Cult, The Police, Jellyfish

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Cult: "She Sells Sanctuary"
Cult's second album, Love, was released in late 1985. The first time I heard this song, I ran out to get the CD. Then, I listened to this song over and over again. I love power trios (guitar, bass, drums). Billy Duffy's guitar work on this song is just epic. Just listen to the guitars. The video features vocalist Ian Astbury doing his very best Jim Morrison impression.



The Police: "Bed's Too Big Without You"
1979's Reggatta de Blanc (White Reggae) is The Police's second record. It is my second favorite record of theirs, their debut, Outlandos d'Amour being my favorite. They became a somewhat different band after this record. The raw, high-energy sound of the three-piece gave way to the more-polished, high-production radio hits, like "Don't Stand So Close to Me". This record, though, keeps that simple, bare-bones, stripped-down sound that was so refreshing when they first appeared on the scene.



Jellyfish: "Brighter Day"
I guess it's a second album kind of day. 1993's Spilt Milk was the follow up to Jellyfish's amazing debut, Bellybutton. And what a follow up. I actually prefer this record. Andy Sturmer, frontman and drummer (yeah, that's an odd one) has such a great voice and is an amazing writer. Their stuff captures everything that was great about 70's power-pop and makes it better. Think Raspberries, Harry Nilsson, McCartney, and Queen and you start to get the idea. I was fortunate to have seen them live before they disbanded. This is the last track of of what would be their last studio album ;) Sometimes, the really great stuff just goes over most people's heads.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment