Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Three for the Ride: Roy Budd, The Rings, Queen

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Roy Budd: "Main Theme - Carter Takes A Train"
From the Get Carter Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, released in 1971, Roy Budd created this masterful mood piece that was the title track for the movie of the same name, starring Michael Caine. The piece is somewhat faithfully reproduced by Tyler Bates for the 2000 remake. There is some great music from the remake as well, including Moby's "Memory Gospel." I recommend both soundtracks. Here's the main theme from the original:



The Rings: "Talk Back"
A dear friend turned me onto these guys around 1984 or '85. They were another band from Boston around the same time as The Cars. You can even hear some similarities. Anyhow, 1981's Rhythm Method became one of my favorite records at the time, and remains so. Every once in a while, my friend sends me a newer copy of the record on updated media to ensure I am never without it. Of course, now it's on iTunes. I think it's some of the best pop from the 80's.



Queen: "It's Late"
I admit it, I'm cheating here. I didn't hear this song this morning. I heard a different Queen song. But a friend reminded me of this track the other day and I can't get it out of my head. What a great song. In my mind it's the best track from 1977's News of the World. The sincerity with which it's delivered - the amazing backing vocals that explode into the first chorus - the band's intensity. It just rocks. Here's a bit of trivia- the guitar solo features Brian May using a "tapping" technique before Eddie Van Halen made if famous just months later.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment