Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Three for the Ride: Def Leppard, Smashing Pumpkins, Grand Funk Railroad

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Def Leppard: "Rock Rock (Till You Drop)"
Yeah, this is as base as it gets in Rock and Roll. "Rock Rock, Till You Drop." That just about says it all. No intellectualism wasted on those lyrics. I remember when I heard Def Leppard for the first time in 1983, when their debut album Pyromania was released. I thought they were AC/DC. No surprise there, since producer Mutt Lange had produced two of AC/DC's records, previously. Then, of course, I heard "Photograph." That song alone was worth the price of the record. As silly and rudimentary as this song is, I love the arpeggiated guitar part in the opening.



Smashing Pumpkins: "Hummer"
Siamese Dream was released in 1993 and Smashing Pumpkins instantly went from being a strange little alternative rock act from Chicago to a mainstream rock act; Billy Corgan was now an important songwriter and new creative influence for the next generation. Siamese Dream is a heavy, rich, guitar-layered album and "Hummer" is a great piece from that recording. I love the production on this album, too. It's produced by Butch Vig, who would also go on to produce Nirvana's Nevermind, and be a founding member of Garbage (drummer). The drums sound GREAT on this record.



Grand Funk Railroad: "Footstompin' Music (Live)"
Caught in the Act was the double-LP live record released by Grand Funk RailRoad in 1975. IMHO, it is one of the best live records ever released. The opening track is an amazing version of this song that features frontman Mark Farner doing his own call and response with his voice and guitar that is impressive to say the least. The energy these guys have on stage is incredible. The version of "Inside Looking Out" that opens the fourth side of this record is one of the best live songs I've heard. This video is not the same version as that which appears on the album, but it's close enough. GFR is one of those oft-forgotten bands that really were a staple of the 70's rock scene.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment