Friday, September 26, 2014

Three for the Ride: Moby, D.C. Talk, Nazareth

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Moby: "Memory Gospel"
I mentioned in a previous column that this track appears on the Get Carter Soundtrack (2000). It's from Moby's Play: B-sides (200) and also appears on the "Honey" CD single release which includes several other tracks. That's all I got. I don't know the female artist who sings on it and would love to know who it is if you're in the know. Great track, regardless.



DC Talk: "Jesus Freak"
Christian music was way behind the times in the 70's through the 90's. It's gotten much better with bands like Switchfoot, Skillet, and others. But in 1995, Jesus Freak, the third album by the Washington D.C.-based rap act (hence the name D.C. Talk), was a break-through that literally changed the Christian music scene. It reached 16 on the Billboard 200 had six singles reach number-one across various Christian radio formats and it won the 1997 Grammy Award for Best Rock Gospel Album. It is an outrageously well written and produced rock album that is one of my favorite records, period. The album was co-produced by the lead rapper and founder, TobyMac (Toby McKeehan whose musical sensibilities are fantastic.



Nazareth: "Miss Misery"
Nazareth was a Scottish rock-metal band that finally gained international acclaim with their sixth record, 1975's Hair of the Dog. The title track and "Love Hurts" were the two singles released from the album. This track, the second on the record, reminds me a lot of early Black Sabbath. It's a pretty dark, straight-ahead metal tune with a very interesting ending.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment