Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Three for the Train: Chicago, Boston, Aerosmith

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Chicago: "I'm a Man"
1969 saw the release of Chicago Transit Authority the self-titled debut album of the band that would simply be called Chicago. This track is a cover of the Steve Winwood and Jimmy Miller composition featuring Terry Kath, Pete Cetera, and Robert Mann, alternating on lead vocals (in that order). You know, most bands would kill for one great vocalist. To think that all three of those guys were in the same act is scary. The song also features Terry Kath's smoking guitar work, and a percussion break featuring drummer Danny Seraphine. Terey Kath is one of the most under-rated and forgotten guitarists who absolutely kills it. Amazing. I know that Chicago would eventually become an easy-listening hit machine, but they started out as a smoking rock band with a killer horn section. This album is my favorite of theirs by far and this song really represents that earlier sound.



Boston: "Peace of Mind"
I swear, it's a coincidence. And no, Kansas isn't the third track today.
1976 was a great year for music. In addition to all the great albums released that year, there were several new acts to show up on the scene, including Ramones, Heart, The Runaways, Tom Petty, and this band, Boston, led by studio technician and guitar genius Tom Scholz. The amazing vocals were provided by the late Brad Delp. This is just one of the many great songs from their debut album, Boston. Boy, these lyrics are convicting:
"Now you're climbin' to the top of the company ladder
Hope it doesn't take too long
Can'tcha you see there'll come a day when it won't matter
Come a day when you'll be gone..."
Ironic.



Aerosmith: "Last Child"
Speaking of great albums from 1976, Rocks is Aerosmith's 4th record and this was the first single from that record, written by Brad Whitford and Steven Tyler. Rocks could be my favorite Aerosmith record, though it's hard to say, because the previous two releases, Get Your Winds and Toys in the Attic along with Rocks make up the perfect Aerosmith trifecta. All three were produced by Jack Douglas, who also worked with The James Gang, Alice Cooper, Cheap Trick, and John Lennon. This is a funky little rock thing with a great hook and great



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment