Monday, September 22, 2014

Three for the Ride: Alanis Morrissette, Pat Metheny Group, Stylistics

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Alanis Morissette: "Dear Prudence"
In October, 2001, TNT aired Come Together: A Night for John Lennon's Words and Music. It featured some great performances, like STP doing "Revolution", Cyndi Lauper's version of "Strawberry Fields Forever", Shelby Lynne's tear-jerking rendition of "Mother", Lou Reed performing "Jealous Guy", Rufus Wainwright and Sean Lennon doing "This Boy" and "Across the Universe" (Moby is also on the latter), and this track, "Dear Prudence" performed by Alanis Morissette. Her band is killing it, especially her drummer, Gary Novak. The performances are floating around out there on YouTube, etc. Check 'em out.



Pat Metheny Group: "American Garage"
This is the title track from American Garage, released in 1979. Going to number one on the US Jazz charts, it has Metheny's signature guitar sound, but this song, in particular, is a bit more "rock" than his usual fare. The album features Pat Metheny on electric and acoustic guitars, Lyle Mays on keys, bassist Mark Egan, and Dan Gottlieb on Drums. I love the cover of this album with the Airstream trailers on it. Such great Americana.



Stylistics: "You'll Never Get to Heaven (If You Break My Heart)"
The Stylistics were an early-70's soul group out of Philadelphia. The band's signature sound was that of Russell Thompkins, Jr.'s falsetto vocal stylings. Burt Bacharach and Hal David wrote this song that appeared on 1972's Round 2, their second album. The song was also sung quite famously by Dionne Warwick, but this version actually charted a little higher.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment