Friday, September 5, 2014

Three for the Ride: Styx, Alice Cooper, Prince

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Styx: "Pieces of Eight"
I might be one of the only people alive who turn the radio station when "Come, Sail Away" is played. I think the only song I hate more than that is Styx's "Babe." So, I can't tell you how or why I ended up with a copy of Pieces of Eight (1978) except that it must have been through one of those damned record clubs. That said, I love this record and I think it stands out in Styx's catalog. Dennis DeYoung is the band's primary singer, yet oddly, my favorite songs on this record are the ones that Tommy Shaw or James Young sing. That said, this song, sung by Dennis DeYoung may not be my favorite song on the record, but it's close. And I also like "I'm O.K.", another of DeYoung's tracks on the record.



Alice Cooper: "The Awakening"
In 1975, Alice Cooper released Welcome to My Nightmare, a masterpiece produced by Bob Ezrin. This is one of my favorite tracks on it. I have no idea what the song is about. It's so dark and so beautiful at the same time. I love the range it shows in Alice's voice and the sound of the piano and the guitars. It's a short one, but a great one. By the way, ignore the video and listen to the song.



Prince: "When Doves Cry"
Purple Rain was released in 1984 as the soundtrack for the movie of the same name. There were a lot of hits on that record, and Prince had finally broken through into the mainstream. This was the first single from that record and it was #1 on every relevant US chart, including Billboard's Hot 100. Rolling Stone eventually listed the song as #52 of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. I dont' know that I'd go THAT far, but I like it.

Unfortunately, Prince's stuff isn't as readily available. (In other words, it's not on YouTube.) But, here's a link to the video

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment