Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Three for the Ride: KISS, The Church, Cream

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

KISS: "Do You Love Me?"
KISS released Destroyer in 1976. Produced by the genius Bob Ezrin (Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Lou Reed, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, and oh-so-many more), Destroyer was their fourth studio album and is, by far, my favorite KISS album. The album features 10 tracks, including "Detroit Rock City", "God of Thunder", "Shout It Out Loud", "Beth", and the rock-love anthem "Do You Love Me?" I love the huge over-produced refrain at the end. Orchestral bells will get me just about every time.



The Church: "Destination"
The Church's sixth album, Starfish. was released in 1988. It was the first mainstream success the band experienced and they had a major hit with "Under the Milky Way." I was suckered in and bought the record. It's a great record. The songwriting is strong and the style unique. There are great guitar textures, varying moods, and an almost ethereal quality to some of the record. It also definitely has moments where the band's "Aussie" peeks through.



Cream: "Badge"
I watched the Concert for George for the first time the other night. Eric Clapton sort of hosted the event. And whenever I think of Eric and George Harrison together, in addition to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", I also think of "Badge." They wrote it together and I think it's the best thing Cream ever did. (Well, O.K., it's tied with "White Room.") I got to see Eric play this live the first time I saw him, too, which is a whole other great story. From 1969's Goodbye...



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment