Friday, October 17, 2014

Three for the Ride: Scott Weiland, Burt Bacharach, Chicago

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Scott Weiland: "Missing Cleveland"
Power Crunch Pop Perfection. That's how to best describe this song. I love's Scott's writing. The chorus progression is classic pop stuff. This song is from his 2008 solo release, "Happy" in Galoshes. The drum break coming back in off the bridge gives me chills. And lyrically, it's brilliant. "The lonely thoughts where everybody knows the truth and lets it be." Maybe one day he and the DeLeo brothers will work things out so STP can make more great music.



Burt Bacharach: "This Guy's in Love With You"
Tied for the greatest pop writer of the 20th century, Burt Bacharach has written or co-written some of the most iconic songs ever to grace the AM airwaves. This song is just dreamy. From 1990's Bacharach & David They Write the Songs, this version is mostly instrumental except for a group of background singers on the chorus. The melody is handled by a mix of brass and wind instruments.



Chicago: "Feelin' Stronger Every Day"
This great song is from 1973's Chicago VI. It features Pete Cetera's amazing voice. Not a whole lot more to say about this one, but listen to it.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment