Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Three for the Ride: Klaatu, Audioslave, Beach Boys

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Klaatu: "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft"
This Canadian pop-prog-rock band, Klaatu, was formed in the early 70's and had several "hits" including this one that was released on 1976's 3:47 EST. It would eventually be covered by several other artists, including The Carpenters. In the mid seventies, there were many rumors that this band was the Beatles recording under a pseudonym. You can hear some of the similarities. That rumor helped fuel some of the band's success. That said, they are certainly worthy of recognition in their own right.



Audioslave: "Cochise"
What happens when Rage Against the Machine gets a new lead singer? Audioslave. Rick Rubin suggested former Rage' members, Tom Morello, Tim Commerford, and Brad Wilk, pursue Chris Cornell from Soundgarden as a new singer and Audioslave was born. Their debut album Audioslave was released in 2002 and this track was one of the singles. This album is a great hard rock record with all the energy rage delivered with the more-musical sensibilities Chris Cornell brings.



Beach Boys: "Good Vibrations"
Brian Wilson is the guy you see in the encyclopedia next to the entry for "tortured artist." His genius shows through on this song. I don't even know where to begin. When I first heard it, as a kid, it was a goofy AM radio hit that went in one ear and out the other. Now, I consider it a masterpiece. The songwriting, the arrangement, the production - they all come together perfectly. The audio dynamics- the swells, the under-stated vamps, the huge harmonies. I suggest, if you can, that you listen to this song in a good pair of headphones and listen to each track in the song. It's one of those great, magical songs where the sum is greater than the parts. Released as a single in 1966, "Good Vibrations" was recorded during the Pet Sounds sessions but wouldn't find its way onto an album until a year later on Smiley Smile



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment