Friday, October 3, 2014

Three for the Ride: Ty Tabor, Mandalay, Lee Dewyze

Some days, I take the train to work. Other days, I drive. Either way, I listen to music on the way. I put the iPhone music player on shuffle, and off I go. Calling my collection eclectic would be an understatement. It's often an interesting mix. There are songs though, that I really wish the world could appreciate as much as I do. Songs that make me say, "Ooh, listen to THIS! Isn't it great?!"

Here's what I heard this morning:

Ty Tabor: "The Island Sea"
Ty Tabor is the amazingly talented and hugely under-appreciated guitarist for King's X. In 1998, Ty released his first solo album, Moonflower Lane. (He had recorded several of the songs on an earlier effort that wasn't formally released.) It's one of those desert island records. I'd have to have it. It is my and my wife Krista's favorite album. We played it to death on many a road-trips to Michigan. It is clear, when you listen to this record, what it is that Ty brings to King's X. Ty's a great songwriter (having written my favorite song of all time, "Goldilox") and this record is full of great songs.



Mandalay: "Deep Love"
"Deep Love" is the first single from Mandalay's second album, 2000's Instinct. It's dreamy, in a word. I think I played this song several times in a row when I discovered it. The production by Andy Bradfield is great. The song starts out so understated, then the chorus is huge with beautiful, lush background vocals. I love, love, love Nicola Hitchcock's vocals on this track. They're angelic. The song is one of those tracks that just "takes you away."



Lee Dewyze: "Backbird Song"
So I'm watching The Walking Dead one evening and there's this great song playing during the episode. I immediately jump to the iPad to discover who the artist is. Well, imagine my surprise when I discovered the artist was none other than American Idol winner Lee Dewyze. Not at all what I would have imagined from him. It's a very mature and dark folk blues tune. This track (2014) appears on The Walking Dead soundtrack, volume 2. That show has some great music in it, but this is a real stand out.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment